min/max case length

R*ck65Cat said: Ok...my Lee reloading manual says max case length for .223 is 1.760 and what I assume to be the minimum length is 1.750... I just measured some new Federal cases I just fired and they measure on average 1.740 ??? Is 1.750 NOT a minimum? :confused:

W*nnipeg Toymaker said: After a few firings, the brass will become longer. The minimum means after you have trimmed the length after they become too long. i have many brass that have been once fired and they are shorter than minumum. After a few reloads and firings, i will have to trim them back to minumum length. the factory loads are usually shorter as they are made to fit so many different manufacturer's products, that surely they are averaged out to fit them all and allow free cycling of the action. If they become too long, the casing begin to cause cycling problems and the bullets not being seated accurately to fit the chamber and may extend into the bore.

BCb*y said: I just measured some new Federal cases I just fired and they measure on average 1.740 ??? Is 1.750 NOT a minimum? :confused: Have you resized them yet???????

R*ck65Cat said: Have you resized them yet??????? 04-28-2008 09:11 PM Nope, they are just "once fired" from my rifle. I haven't touched them yet.

BCb*y said: Nope, they are just "once fired" from my rifle. I haven't touched them yet. try resizing one and check your length and I bet you it will grow, I beleive or understand it as this (could be wrong) the brass when fired expands every witch way in your chamber , when you run it through the resizing die it will sqeeze the brass and it can only grow one way ,length I could be wrong though, someone else might be able to clairify this

*agleye said: try resizing one and check your length and I bet you it will grow, I beleive or understand it as this (could be wrong) the brass when fired expands every witch way in your chamber , when you run it through the resizing die it will sqeeze the brass and it can only grow one way ,length I could be wrong though, someone else might be able to clairify this What BCBoy says is essentially correct. The resizing process will cause the brass to lengthen somewhat again. As the case is "squeezed" back to close to factory specs, the brass moves forward slightly to lengthen the case. Another factor in cases growing is the expander button. As it is drawn through the neck, it "pulls" the neck forward a couple of thousandths of an inch, which also serves to affect the case length. Failure to lube the inside of the neck at resizing exacerbates this problem, as does a rough expander button. I usually polish mine with Crocus cloth before I put the dies to work initially. Regards, Eagleye.




Related information