Listings for Lee Lead Smelter

Related Lee Lead Smelter information

Should I Full Lengh Resize brand new brass?

sl*shee said: So the only store I found to have .308 Win brass in stock was William Arms in Port Perry .. so what better day for a road trip! $300 later I walk away with some brand new brass. I also bought a box of MK 168 HPBT's :eek: .. Now I've reloaded .308 win before, but always factory ammunition. What specifically do I need to do with this Brand new brass? I see the neck is a little beat up and bent a tiny bit on them all, so I'm thinking I need to full length resize them all first right? Is this normal? Or have I just bought some roughly handled brass?

s*nray said: Yep. Size 'em and check the lengths. Trim as required, chamfer and deburr. It's best to trim 'em all to the same length. The case mouths will need chamfering anyway. "...168 HPBT's..." IMR4064 is your friend. "...Is this normal?..." Yep. If you were bounced around in a box or bag, you'd be a bit dented too.

M*user98 said: The dinged mouths are normal on new brass. I usually run new brass through the FL die, square the mouths of my trimmer(and trim to length if needed), chamfer then load.

sl*shee said: Thanks for the quick reply .. and by a box of MK's, I meant a box of 500 :D They put me in the poor house but I got enough to last me a few months hehehe... God I can't believe how much more fun I have loading then I do shooting!!!!

s*nray said: "...They put me in the poor house..." They would. Match bullets are pricey. The sad part is that working up the load will eat 85 of 'em. Starting at 41.5 and going up to 49.5 by half grain increases, loading 5 of each. 17 loads of IMR4064. Varget is a little better. Starts at 42.0 and goes up to 46.0. Only uses 50 bullets. Varget will do nicely for the powder too. Sad thing to be counting bullets for load developement. The last price I saw for Hornady 168 grain HPBT's was over $300 per 1,000. Scary stuff.

m*rtinbns said: All that plus sort by weight.

cr*ut said: God I can't believe how much more fun I have loading then I do shooting!!!! Not sure God is a member of the CGN. I haven't seen any posts from him. please try and keep your language nuetral:) for my sake anyway. thanks:wave:

B*gUglyMan said: Not sure God is a member of the CGN. I haven't seen any posts from him. please try and keep your language nuetral:) for my sake anyway. thanks:wave: ??? Get off it. Back to the brass... FL size, trim to the sam elength, chamfer and debur, uniform the flash holes and sort by weight. Then you're off to the races. I hope they shoot for you - else you've got a lot of bullets to flog on the EE. If you really want to be anal-retentive you could sort your bullets by weight.

w*tsknew said: Not sure God is a member of the CGN. I haven't seen any posts from him. please try and keep your language nuetral:) for my sake anyway. thanks:wave: Welcome Ned Flanders

w*tsknew said: what benefit does weight sorting the cases have? i'm fairly new to the reloading game myself and i've heard to do it i've just never done it myself...i understand weighing the bullet and that makes sense but the case itself..is it because of different internal capacities? could somebody please explain.

B said: It's all about consistency. Different weight cases add to inaccuracy despite the fact it may be next to insignificant. IIRC anyway.PS big LOL at crout, get over it.

st*bblejumper said: what benefit does weight sorting the cases have? i'm fairly new to the reloading game myself and i've heard to do it i've just never done it myself...i understand weighing the bullet and that makes sense but the case itself..is it because of different internal capacities? could somebody please explain. Bingo!Some cases are not that consistent in volume,so some people batch them according to weight. Welcome Ned Flanders :runaway:

r*mmelrommel said: I didn't trim/chamfer/fl size much of my starline brass... but mainly because the first 50 all needed nothing, the FL sizer hardly touched them, they all spec'd length correctly, and no sharp edges.

w*tsknew said: Bingo!Some cases are not that consistent in volume,so some people batch them according to weight. :runaway: Thanks! makes sense now.

B*om-Boom said: "...They put me in the poor house..." They would. Match bullets are pricey. The sad part is that working up the load will eat 85 of 'em. Starting at 41.5 and going up to 49.5 by half grain increases, loading 5 of each. 17 loads of IMR4064. Varget is a little better. Starts at 42.0 and goes up to 46.0. Only uses 50 bullets. Varget will do nicely for the powder too. Sad thing to be counting bullets for load developement. The last price I saw for Hornady 168 grain HPBT's was over $300 per 1,000. Scary stuff. You better check your IMR 4064 & 168 SMK data for .308 Win........... WAY OVER LOAD. The case is not even large enough to be filled with 49.5 grs!!!!!!!!!!! and a 168 pill on top. BB

p*nkrockboy said: Welcome Ned Flanders I think I just wet myself!!!!HAHAHAHAHA!!! Seriously crout, if you took offense to something so silly, perhaps you should join the NDP, where everyone is politically correct, and overly sensitive, and is easily offended!!! Back to the topic, Max load for IMR4064 with a 168 HPBT is 45 grains, and even that is a compressed load, so I definitely wouldnt try 49!!!

m*ynard said: Weight sorting brass is more of a "feel good" thing, and I will admit that is how I sort my brass. What I am assuming is the web of the brass and extractor groove are exactly the same on every case which is not always true. If you have an extra .002" material in the web and an extra .001" in the extractor groove the cases will not weight the same. The only real way to sort them is by volume, but who has the time for that? Unless you are a a BR shooter looking to shave .002" off your groups, weight sorting is close enough IMHO. I use Laupa brass that is very consistant but still find with about 1800 rounds I have about 4-5 different lots sorted by weight in 1 gr increments. With something like Winchester or Remington brass you might find you have 7-8 lots witth he same amount of brass. Weight sorting your bullets is another exercise in :bangHead: The old ISU stand-by load with 168's is 39 gr of 3031, which works very well at 300m.

t*riaq said: I don't fl size new brass. I do neck size them though, to eliminate the out of round and dented necks.

*ndy said: Win is good brass, but I have moved to Lapua. $65/100 taxes in shipped to my door - about $15 more than Win. I haven't seen any dented mouths and they are very consistent in weight. No need to ream flasholes either (although I do enjoy it).

st*bblejumper said: I actually use Lapua brass myself when I can,unfortunately it is not made in some of the chamberings that I use.It does tend to be made to much closer tolerances than any other brass that I have used.

t*riaq said: For my TR brass, I used sorted, prepped Winchester for years. Weighed, trimmed, chamfered, flash holes, primer pockets. No complaints. Then I got Lapua. MUCH less prep. Have also been using some HPS that I bought once fired from the UK team. Its good, too.

303c*rbine said: So the only store I found to have .308 Win brass in stock was William Arms in Port Perry .. so what better day for a road trip! $300 later I walk away with some brand new brass. I also bought a box of MK 168 HPBT's :eek: .. Now I've reloaded .308 win before, but always factory ammunition. What specifically do I need to do with this Brand new brass? I see the neck is a little beat up and bent a tiny bit on them all, so I'm thinking I need to full length resize them all first right? Is this normal? Or have I just bought some roughly handled brass? I usually just neck size any new brass, I trim if needed and chamfer and deburr. If you don't have a neck sizer die, then running the brass through the FL die till the neck is rounded out works well too.